During the first week of May 2022, nearly 250 students will convened at their respective schools to participate in a middle school engineering design competition. Leading up to the ENpowered Games, Project SYNCERE’s instructional team provided the participating schools with 10 weeks of programming to develop students’ knowledge and skills in engineering design. Each team of four students worked to identify a problem and develop a solution related to Green Smart Homes. At the end of competition week, student teams and invited guests tuned in for the finale watch-party, to see which teams won the competition.
Our goal is to increase America’s talent pool by improving STEM education for under-represented youth. Through their participation in this comprehensive STEM competition, students will have an increased aptitude and appreciation for the STEM fields. Our hope is that by providing students with an initial spark, they will become energized by their involvement in the program and choose to continue their pursuit of STEM knowledge by participating in other programs such as our out-of-school program, E-CADEMY.
Additionally, through the theme of social change, we hope to inspire students to see the pursuit of engineering skills as a means to impact their surrounding and global communities. We want students to begin to identify themselves as change agents and
The goals for the competition are to:
- Increase awareness of career opportunities in STEM
- Enhance positive attitudes toward STEM disciplines
- Develop an understanding of how to utilize the engineering design process to solve problems
- Gain skills in communication, critical thinking and collaboration
- Create a pipeline of students to participate in our year-round E-CADEMY program
- Expose families to the value of STEM careers